Monday, June 13, 2005

If I do come out straight ...

Thanks gentlemen, for all those wonderful comments. Yeah, so now I am out, proud and loud. *laugh*

As I have mentioned previously, coming out is a very personal experience. Think it through once, twice, ten times, before you actually do it (if you are thinking about it).

And now, there is the problem of the other parent though. Maybe, he might not even know about it in his lifetime.

------------------

"If I do come out straight I'll be so mentally unstable and depressed it won't matter ... I'll be back in therapy again. This is not good--"

That was the opening sentence to an email that I received yesterday. It’s about a 16 year-old, Zack, who is sent to a ‘fundamentalist Christian program for gays’ (in his own words). He is in Tennessee, U.S. To read more, please click here. Zack's blog is here.

It is indeed inhuman, bordering on evil, the things people would do to try to fit in. I mean, they are the parents, for goodness sake.

Zack wrote:

They (the parents) tell me that there is something psychologically wrong with me, and they "raised me wrong." I'm a big screw up to them, who isn't on the path God wants me to be on. So I'm sitting here in tears, joining the rest of those kids who complain about their parents on blogs - and I can't help it.

Which reminded me of an episode in Queer As Folk, when Justin came home, a few days after he was told to leave his house by his dad.

Justin’s dad: If you are gonna live in this house, there are rules you need to obey. You are not to go to gay bars or talk about your disgusting lifestyle. And you will never, ever see him (Brian) again.

Brian: So in other words, for Justin to live here with you, he has to deny who he is, what he thinks and how he feels. Well, that's not love. That's hate.

I really want to blame something or someone, but I don’t know what or who. Religion? The parents? Politicians? Or all of them?

I am really thanking my lucky stars that I am in a better situation. And my heart goes out to Zack. I hope he will come back just as he is.

------------------------

Oh, and I have added two new blog links: it's not rocket science and drowned glass.

No comments: