Monday, May 09, 2005

Bukit Buah hike (Part 2)

Continue from part one ...

Before I continue, I would like to digress a little.

I, for one, who will complain and whine when things don’t go my way. It was raining heavily on the way up. My usual sour disposition would have taken over by now. On the contrary, I was pretty indifferent. Yes, even I myself was surprised. I remember muttering something about how this would be a good simulation for Kinabalu, if it were to rain too.

In an unlikely situation, I came to a realization about myself. That even though I don’t like something or a circumstance and I’ll be miserable and grumble, I’ll come to accept it sooner or later. Unless I really feel strongly against it, like hypocrisy and bigotry.

So, this line of thought led me to another, which is about relationships. I came to the conclusion that through thick and thin, good and bad, I will most probably stick it out with him. Which is good and scary at the same time. Good as that is how a relationship should be and how I want it to be. Scary as I would have to choose carefully who I date, for fear of choosing the wrong one. And be stuck with him and not realised it till it's too late.

Note to self : Important and need more time to think about it.

Anyway, back to the hike. We continued the climb, even though I did suggest that we turn back in this weather. No one bothered, so we trudged forward. At last, we were at the summit. It was plain, there was absolutely nothing there, not even a shelter. As it was still raining, the wisest move would be to go down again. Immediately.

Obviously, going down was easier and quicker. It almost seemed like running. Anyway, going downhill was more challenging too. Slopes were more slippery because of the rain. I had my fair share of falls. In a little over an hour, we were nearly out.

But then this was where the “killer” was. Remember when I said we went downhill at the very beginning of the trail? Now, we had to climb uphill to get out. Imagine, I was totally exhausted, wet and legs were feeling wobbly and shaky. It was almost like the light at the end of the tunnel. Pushing myself to reach the end, knowing the light is somewhere near yet so far.

At last, we were out of the jungle. I could have just sat there on the road and not move. It was another 45 minutes walk back to the car. I had no choice and started to walk. I was walking funny, my pace seemed inconsistent and one foot felt like going this way and the other foot that way. I felt like duck-walking.

After what seemed like an unbearably long time, we reached the car. We changed into dry clothing. Right at that moment, it started to drizzle. Behind us, the mist was rolling towards us. It was as if it was planned. I mean, it was sheer coincidence. We left just as the weather got worse. We were in the car for less than a minute before it turned into a downpour.

I took the LRT home from Gombak. I felt good, yet terribly tired. There was a sense of achievement. A feeling that no one can take away.

It was a day well spent.

No comments: