Sunday, May 22, 2005

After the party

After the party ended, I went to Bukit Bintang to meet someone. His name is Shaun and he works in Bukit Bintang. I chatted with him on IRC a few weeks back.

He suggested that we meet in Starbucks, KL Plaza. I arrived there first and waited for some time. I was not sure what was wrong with my phone or perhaps it was the network problem, but I couldn’t call him to tell him that I was there.

Anyhow, I did manage to call him after trying for more than ten times. He is fair and tall. A six-footer. He looks good with his dyed and spiky hair. I might add he is quite hunky too.

I grabbed an ice-blended raspberry first. After I was seated, he went to order his. I took the newspaper and flipped through it while waiting for him to come back.

I was making most of the conversation. The usual stuff about work, what do you do in your free time, etc. He looked kinda bored. After less than five minutes, the barista came over and started to talk to him.

I was shocked. Can’t she see that Shaun was talking to me? To make things worse, Shaun asked her to sit down and they continue talking. Her name was Michelle. She said this was her last day working at Starbucks and she will be working in Desa Sari Hartamas, how the work sucks and the low pay, how she wasn’t getting enough sleep and has eye bags. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

I wanted to give them the bored looked and go back to flipping the newspaper. Somehow I managed not to. I was being totally ignored. I kept looking at my watch. They didn’t get the hint. After more than five minutes of yakking, I asked her, “You are on your break now?” She replied no, but as it was her last day, she didn’t care. And she went back to talking.

Now, I was getting pissed. Deep breaths, I told myself. I was thinking what to say next to get rid of her. Shaun wasn’t even looking me, so I couldn’t signal him. And I began my sentence with “So ..", and stopped. I didn’t know how to continue.

They looked at me and asked, “I beg your pardon?”

“Er ... nothing. I just said so ..."

“So what?”

“Oh, I think I better get back to work.”

Yes, you should. Finally. She went to clear up a table nearby.

After that, I continued talking to Shaun. He didn’t talk much. I asked whether he was bored. He said no and explained that he usually doesn’t talk much on first meets. He also said that he preferred typing (as in texting), rather than talking. Ok, that would explain the impression of a cheery personality that I got from his messages. Which attracted me to meeting him and obviously I was fooled.

I had a feeling that this would be our first and last meet. At about half past eleven, he said that he wanted to leave as he has work tomorrow and he didn’t have enough sleep the day before. I was quite relieved when he said that.

As I walked to the monorail station with him, I asked him whether he still wanted to meet up. He said sure, why not? He also apologized again for not talking much earlier. Hmm…

Didn’t know how to read his actions. So while waiting for the train, I messaged him. It read “Hey, nice meeting you. You seem really tired, like a zombie. Get a good night’s sleep, yeah? Take care and see you next time. Nitez.”

He hasn’t replied until now. Or should I even be expecting one?

Not that it matters anyway.

No comments: